Dublin, Ireland, Feb. 2015: Richard Dawkins, British biologist and author, and well known atheist gave a speech in which he stated that children need to be protected by the state (government)… from their own parents.
In an interview with Irish Times, before his speech at Trinity College, Dawkins told the media:
“There is a balancing act and you have to balance the rights of parents and the rights of children and I think the balance has swung too far towards parents…
Children do need to be protected so that they can have a proper education and not be indoctrinated in whatever religion their parents happen to have been brought up in.”
Dawkins later speech focused on Darwinism and misconceptions about science. He also gave support to the activist group Atheist Ireland, who is leading a campaign to remove religious education from schools.
What Dawkins is advocating is a monumental intrusion of government involvement into the lives of families that would lead to parents losing custody of children, and children being taken into state care.
The Supreme Court of the U.S. has traditionally and continuously defended that parents have a fundamental right to decide, control, and administer, the education and upbringing of their children. For example, in Meyer v. Nebraska (1923), 262 U.S. 390 , the Court emphasized, “The Fourteenth Amendment guarantees the right of the individual … to establish a home and bring up children, to worship God according to his own conscience.”
In another case (Calabretta v. Floyd, 189 F.3d 808 (9th Cir. 1999) The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said in its ruling, “The government’s interest in the welfare of children embraces not only protecting children from physical abuse, but also protecting children’s interest in the privacy and dignity of their homes and in the lawfully exercised authority of their parents.”
When courts and CPS do not recognize that parents do have rights that are protected by the Constitution and state laws, abuses of power occur… and always, children are harmed.
How to Protect Yourself from Violations of Your Rights from the Government, Court or CPS?
I offer some tips, please feel free to add your own tips, links or additional information in the comments section:
- Know your rights. The Due Process clauses of the 5th and the 14th Amendments say the government cannot deprive people of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.
- Do the research on the issues that affect you. Or the laws regarding the issues you are dealing with.
- Get informed about court policies and procedures.
- Find a support group, or advocacy group.
- Get an attorney or legal help or other professional help.
- Make copies and organize all important papers. Store them in a safe place. Leave instructions with someone you trust on how your documents should be cared for if you can not do so yourself.
- Don’t sign any documents without first consulting with a qualified professional.
- Keep a journal. Document recent events.
- Organize important documents so they are easily accessible.
- Consider bringing a witness or support person with to a meeting or court date. The witness must have the ability to remain calm, professional and neutral. The witness should not interrupt or interfere with proceedings but rather take notes or keep a record. Select your witness carefully – as a poor one may jeopardize your case!
- Back up facts with evidence, sworn witness statements or relevant case law. Avoid unsubstantiated allegations.
- Do not reveal or give out more information than is necessary. The court, CPS or other government official is NOT your friend!
- Do not give up hope!
— Emily Court